06 September 2017 - Current Affairs
- Sankara Narayanan Takes Charge as MD & CEO of Vijaya Bank
- R A Sankara Narayanan has taken charge as Managing Director (MD)and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Vijaya Bank.
- He took charge from Dr Kishore Sansi, who had attained Superannuation on 31st August.
- Mr Narayanan joined Bank of India as a direct recruit officer in 1983 and has headed various branches, zones.
Note: Narayanan is a post-graduate in Public Administration with an MBA in Finance, CAIIB, PGDPM, PGDFM, DTIRM, DCP and BRM.
Joint India-Nepal army exercise 'Surya Kiran'
- India-Nepal joint military exercise ‘Surya Kiran XII’ was held at Nepal Army Battle School (NABS) in Saljhandi, Nepal.
- It is the largest exercise in terms of troop’s participation in series of military training exercises undertaken by India with various countries.
- The 12th edition of Nepal-India joint military exercise will conclude on 16th September.
- Disaster management and joint operations for disaster relief will also be a part of the exercise.
- The 11th edition of the joint exercise 'Surya Kiran' was held in Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand (India).
- Surya Kiran series of exercises are held alternately in India and Nepal.
Noted journalist Gauri Lankesh shot dead in Bengaluru
- Noted journalist and activists ‘Gauri Lankesh’ was shot dead at her Rajarajeshwari Nagar's residence in Bengaluru(Karnataka).
- She was the editor of popular Kannada tabloid Lankesh Patrike founded by her father P Lankesh(writer).
- Gauri Lankesh was also part of a panel formed by the State govt to help surrender Naxals to reform.
Govt. accepts National Anomaly Committee recommendation of disability pension for defence forces
- The union govt. has accepted the recommendations of a panel that parity with civilians for the grant of disability element to the defence forces under the 6th Central Pay Commission.
- The armed forces have been pressing for reverting to the percentage-based regime for the disability pension and were strongly opposed to the slab-based system conceived by the 7th CPC.
- The matter was referred to the National Anomaly Committee by the Ministry of Defence to decide methodology for calculation of disability element of disability pension under the 7th CPC.
- The Ex-Servicemen Health Contributory Scheme has launched 'Complaint and Litigation Reduction Scheme, for the grievance redressal of veterans and their dependents.
Jharkhand Governor gives assent to Religious Freedom Bill-2017
- Jharkhand Governor Draupadi Murmu has given assent to the Jharkhand Religious Freedom Bill-2017 along with Land Acquisition Bill-2017(passed by the State Assembly).
- Now, the state government will issue a notification on the Religious Freedom Bill, after which it will become an Act.
- Land Acquisition Bill will be sent to the President of India for final approval.
Assam Govt. sets up DBT cell for implementation of DBT scheme
- Assam govt. has set up a Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) Cell for the implementation of DBT across schemes in the country.
- The purpose of the cell is to coordinate efforts at the state level in taking the DBT initiative forward with immediate effect.
- The Chairman of the cell will be the Chief Secretary of Assam,
- The cell will Coordinate with Central Ministries & disseminate the directives to the respective Departments in States.
Note: The main aim behind its introduction is to bring transparency in the distribution of funds sponsored by Central Government of India.
NITI Aayog launches National Nutrition Strategy
- NITI Aayog has launched the National Nutrition Strategy aimed at Kuposhan Mukt Bharat.
- Leader of the Green Revolution (Dr M S Swaminathan) and Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog (Dr Rajiv Kumar) have jointly launched the Nutrition Strategy in New Delhi.
- It intends at bringing nutrition to the centre-stage of the National Development Agenda and lays the roadmap for targeted action to address India's nutritional needs.
- The nutrition strategy calls for convergence between four proximate determinants of nutrition (food, health services, income, and water).
- The Nutrition Strategy framework envisages a Kuposhan Mukt Bharat - linked to Swachh Bharat and Swasth Bharat.
Assam to upgrade employment exchanges to Modern Career Centres
- According to Assam Skill Development minister ‘Chandra Mohan Patowary’, state govt. will upgrade employment exchanges to Modern Career Centres.
- As a pilot project, two district employment exchanges in Guwahati and Jorhat will be upgraded as modern career centres.
- All modern facilities including counselling will be provided at the proposed career centres.
N R Narayana Murthy conferred with Plus Alliance Prize 2017
- N R Narayana Murthy (Infosys co-founder) for Global Leadership and Veena Sahajwalla (scientist) have been conferred the PLuS Alliance Prize 2017 for the development and implementation of innovative solutions to significant global issues.
- Narayana Murthy for Global Leadership and Veena Sahajwalla for Research Innovation for her project 'The new science of green manufacturing.
- Both received USD 50000 as a cash prize.
Note: PLuS Alliance Prize is an honour that recognises Research Innovation, Education Innovation, Global Leadership and Global Innovation.
ISSF World Cup: India bags one Gold, two Silver medals in men's double trap
- India has bagged a Gold and two Silver medals in the Men's Double trap event at the ISSF World Shotgun Championship in Moscow.
- India won the Gold in the Junior team section of the event with a combined score of 401.
- Silver medals came in the individual section of both Senior (Ankur Mittal) and Junior categories (Ahvar Rizvi).