English MCQ for SBI Clerk
Directions (Q. 1-5): Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical or idiomatic error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is ‘No error’, the answer is 5). (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any.)
1. 1) Parents are often unaware of the dangers / 2) of social networking sites / 3) and how to put private lives online / 4) can seriously harm a youngsters’ emotional life. / 5) No error
2. 1) Lalu’s sentence has sent a clear and loud message / 2) to one and all that no one – however powerful / 3) he may be – is above the law / 4) and everyone will have to atone for their sins. / 5) No error
3. 1) Corrupt officials and construction mafia continue to / 2) jeopardise the lives of thousand of residents / 3) in the country by constructing illegal buildings / 4) that flout safety regulations. / 5) No error
4. 1) We need to look at / 2) the pros and cons / 3) of foreign investment / 4) in each sector. / 5) No error
5. 1) We wish to place in the public domain / 2) all facts and figures available with / 3) the government, initiate a debate and take decision which / 4) are the best for the country. / 5) No error
Directions (Q. 6-10): Rearrange the following five sentences (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the questions given below.
(A) Bank under a contract of guarantee is bound to honour its guarantee and its obligation to pay is primary and independent of the underlying contract between the customer on whose behalf the guarantee is given and the beneficiary.
(B) Guarantee issued by banks mainly are financial guarantee, performance guarantee, deferred payment guarantees and statutory guarantees.
(C) A bank guarantee is a contract by which the bank guarantees a certain sum to a person/entity on the customer failing to fulfil any contractual or legal obligation to the said person/entity.
(D) The only exception for a bank not to make payment under a guarantee is when a fraud exists, which must be proved beyond doubt, or special equity is in favour of the debtor.
(E) This has been settled by the various decisions of the Courts.
6. Which of the following would be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
7. Which of the following would be the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
8. Which of the following would be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
9. Which of the following would be the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
10. Which of the following would be the LAST (FIFTH) sentence after rearrangement?
- 3; Replace ‘to put’ with ‘putting’
- 1; Replace ‘clear and loud’ with ‘loud and clear’
- 2; Replace ‘thouand’ with ‘thousands’
- 3; Replace ‘decision’ with ‘decisions’
- 5; CBAED