11 October 2017 - Current Affairs
International Day of the Girl Child being observed today
- The International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC) is observed every year across the world on 11th October (6th- edition) to recognize girls’ rights and challenges girls face around the world.
- The theme of 2017 is “EmPOWER girls: emergency response and resilience planning”.
- On the occasion, Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Sanjay Gandhi addressed a panel discussion on the Role of Sports in the Empowerment of Girls in New Delhi.
Note: On December 2011, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution to declare 11th October as the International Day.
Nisha Desai Biswal appointed as President of USIBC
- Former Indian-American assistant secretary of South and central Asia ‘Nisha Desai Biswal’ has been appointed as the President of US India Business Council (USIBC).
- In 1975, the U.S. India Business Council (USIBC) was formed as a business advocacy organization to enlighten and encourage the private sectors of both India and US to enhance investment flows.
- She previously served as the Assistant Administrator for Asia at the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
Note: USIBC serves as a direct link between business and Government leaders, resulting in increased trade and investment to strengthen ties between the two nations.
Uttarakhand Govt. launches 'solar briefcase' for remote areas
- Uttarakhand Govt. and Swan Cultural Center & Foundation (a charitable funding agency) have launched ‘Solar Briefcase’ to provide electricity to far-flung areas in the hill state.
- 101 families located in remote areas were provided solar briefcases & power packs by the Hans foundation
- The Hans foundation in collaboration with the State Government has decided to provide off grid power to the deprived families by distributing 15,000 solar briefcases in Uttarakhand
- Earlier in the day CM Rawat handedover the first Power pack to the temple committee of Kedarnath.
Bihar to provide reservation to persons with disabilities in govt jobs
- Bihar state cabinet has approved reservations for persons with disabilities in govt. jobs and educational institutions.
- The provision has been brought in accordance with the Persons With Disabilities Act, 2016.
- The cabinet also approved the establishment of a state advisory board for the empowerment of 'Divyangjan' as envisaged in the Act.
- Secretaries of various departments will serve as members of the board and it will also comprise representatives from districts.
President presents Lal Bahadur Shastri National award to Bindeshwar Pathak
- President Ram Nath Kovind has presented 18th Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award to ‘Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak’ for Excellence in Public Administration, Academics, and Management.
- Bindeshwar Pathak has contributed immensely in the direction of getting rid of the practice of manual scavenging.
Note: Bindeshwar Pathak is the founder of Sulabh International and has developed and implemented a low cost and appropriate toilet technology popularly known as the Sulabh Shauchalaya system.
Union Govt. imposes anti-dumping duty on imports of steel wire rods from China
- The Union govt. has imposed anti-dumping duty on imports of certain steel wire rods from China for five years to guard the interest of domestic players from cheap in-bound shipments.
- Earlier, the Commerce Ministry's Directorate General of Anti-Dumping and Allied Duties (DGAD) recommended duty on such imports.
- The wire rod of alloy or non-alloy steel has been exported to India at below the normal value due to which domestic industry has suffered material injury.
- Anti-dumping measures are taken to ensure fair trade and provide a level-playing field to the domestic industry.
Note: These steel products are used in many sectors such as automotive components, railway, engineering, and construction.
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurates India Water Week-2017
- President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated five days international event ‘India Water Week-2017’ in new Delhi.
- Around 1500 delegates from India and 13 other countries have participated in the event.
- The theme of the India Water Week-2017 is “Water and Energy for Inclusive Growth”.
Mastercard lab to help India on inclusive digital economy goal
- Mastercard has launched its first technology lab in the country (in Pune) to help India move towards digital economy and financial inclusion.
- This lab will be Mastercard's ninth such establishment in the world and the second in Asia Pacific after Singapore.
- Earlier this year, Mastercard co-innovated with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and other payments brands to develop Bharat QR.
- The QR (quick response) code is the world's first interoperable data acceptance solution that streamlines local electronic payments infrastructure.
Note: Mastercard will engage with financial institutions, merchant partners and fintech companies to identify and experiment in digital payments, data solutions, financial inclusion, alternative payments as well as cybersecurity.
IMF trims India growth forecast for current financial year to 6.7 %
- According to the latest World Economic Outlook, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has trimmed India’s growth forecast for 6.7% from its earlier estimate of 7.2% for the financial Year 2017-18.
- It cited the lingering impact of demonetization and transition cost to the Goods & Services Tax (GST) For the slowdown.
- India is expected to regain the fastest growing major economy tag next year when it is forecast to grow 7.4%, slower than earlier estimate of 7.7% but higher than China's 6.5%.
- Earlier this month, RBI lowered its growth forecast for 2017-18 to 6.7% from 7.3%.
India Slips to 8th Rank invaluable Nation Brand List
- India is ranked the eighth most valuable nation brand while the United States retained its top position and China took the second spot in the league of nations according to Brand Finance’s Nation Brands 2017.
- According to Brand Finance’s Nation Brands 2017, India has ranked the 8th most valuable nation brand.
- The United States retained its top position and China took the second spot.
- The fastest growing nation brand in 2017 is China, saw valuation grow 44%.
- India went down one spot over the previous year because the economy grew at its slowest pace.
Top 5 valuable Nation brands:
- United States
- United Kingdom