World Hepatitis Day being observed today
- The World Hepatitis Day is being observed on 28th July worldwide to raise global awareness of Hepatitis and encourage prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
- The Theme of this year is "Eliminate Hepatitis" to mobilize intensified action towards the health targets in the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
- Hepatitis is a group of infectious diseases known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E.
- World Hepatitis Day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the WHO.
Bollywood actor Inder Kumar passes away
- Bollywood actor Inder Kumar (44-year) passed away due to a heart attack at his residence in Andheri Mumbai.
- Inder has worked in several popular films like Wanted’, ‘Tumko Na Bhool Payenge’ ‘Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye’ and Akshay Kumar’s 'Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi'.
Odisha formally names Wheeler Island after APJ Abdul Kalam
- Odisha government has formally named the Outer Wheeler Island in Bhadrak district as APJ Abdul Kalam Island as a tribute to the former president.
- Dr. Kalam's emotional attachment with the interim test range at Chandipur in Balasore district and Wheeler Island in Bhadrak district.
- He had spent most of his time in these two places as part of his efforts to develop missiles for the protection of the country.
Government launched two apps 'India Quake' & 'Sagar Vani'
- The Union government has launched two Mobile apps 'India Quake' (for the dissemination of earthquake parameters) and 'Sagar Vani' (to disseminate ocean related information and alerts) to the user community in a timely manner for their safety.
- Mobile apps have been Developed by the National Centre for Seismology (NCS).
- The 'India Quake' will automatically disseminate relevant parameter (location, time and magnitude) after the occurrence of earthquakes.
- The 'Sagar Vani' is a software platform where various dissemination modes are integrated on a single central server.
- The National Centre for Seismology (NCS) operates the national seismological network with 84 stations across the country.
- These stations are connected to NCS headquarter through VSAT for real time data communication.
Supreme Court puts end to immediate arrests in dowry cases
- The division bench of Supreme Court headed by Justice ‘Adarsh Kumar Goel’ has put an end to the immediate arrest of the husband and his family members in the dowry harassment case.
- Complaints under Section 498A should now be referred to Family Welfare Committees- to be constituted at every district and no arrest shall be effected till the committee's report is received.
- The Bench said such report may be then considered by the investigating officer or the magistrate on its own merit.
- However, these directions will not apply to the offenses involving tangible physical injuries or death.
Uma Bharati to inaugurate national 4th Jal Manthan seminar
- Today, the Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Uma Bharati has inaugurated two-day national 4th Jal Manthan seminar in New Delhi.
- The seminar has been attended by Union Ministers of related ministries and departments, chief ministers, irrigation and water resources ministers of some states and union territories, eminent experts, representatives of NGOs and senior officers.
Axis Bank extends Shikha Sharma's term by three years
- Shikha Sharma has been re-appointed as Managing Director (MD) & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Axis Bank for three-year from June 2018.
- Earlier, Axis Bank has informed Bombay Stock Exchange(BSE) that board of directors has approved the re-appointment.
- Sharma began her career with the erstwhile infra lender ICICI Ltd in 1980.
- She joined Axis from ICICI Prudential Life where she was the managing director (MD)and chief executive officer(CEO).
BRICS nations sign memorandum to facilitate taxation cooperation
- Tax authorities of the five BRICS countries have signed a landmark document to establish a mechanism for taxation cooperation at the fifth meeting.
- It is the bloc's first document that elevates taxation cooperation to the institutional level.
- The authorities also agreed to cooperate on taxation information exchange, improve consultation procedures efficiency, boost taxation capacities and plan paths for coordination of taxation policies and tax collection.
- The BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) are home to 42 per cent of the world's population.
Amazon founder Jeff Bijos became world's richest man, left behind Bill Gates
- Jeff Bizos (Founder of e-commerce company Amazon) has become the richest man in the world by overtaking Bill Gates.
- According to Forbes and Bloomberg, Amazon's share price rose by about USD 15 overnight, due to which Biosso now became the richest man in the world, while Microsoft's shares are seeing some decline.
- Earlier, Bizose's net worth was more than USD 89 billion, while Bill Gates was at number one with the net worth of USD 90 billion.
- Amazon's shares opened rapidly, with Bose's net worth rising to USD 90.9 billion and Gates slipped to second place with USD 90.7 billion.
Ajay Singh wins bronze medal in Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships
- Ajay Singh (India) has won a bronze medal in Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- He got third place in 77 Kgs men's junior category, lifting 143 kgs in the snatch and 172 kgs in clean and jerk.