PM Modi inaugurated 8th Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit
- The Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the "8th Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors Summit 2017" at Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar (Gujarat).
- The event is aimed at bringing together business leaders, investors, corporations, thought leaders, policy and opinion makers.
- The summit is advertised as a platform to understand and explore business opportunities in the State of Gujarat.
- Vibrant Gujarat 2017 is scheduled to be held from 10-13 January 2017.
India & Kenya sign agreements in area of agriculture
- Today, India and Kenya has signed agreements in the area of agriculture which were inked after delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta in New Delhi.
- India is collaborating with Kenya to raise agricultural productivity there.
- The Loan of Credit Agreement of 100 million dollars signed for farm mechanization will open a new dimension of engagement between the two countries.
Notification Assembly elections in Goa and Punjab issued
- Today, the notification for Goa and Punjab assembly elections has been issued and the process of filing nomination papers has begun.
- The Goa Legislative Assembly election, 2017 will be held on 4th February 2017 to elect the 40 members.
- The Punjab legislative assembly election, 2017 will be held on 04 February 2017 to select the 117 members.
- The results of the election will be announced on 11th March, 2017.
Note:Voter-Verified Paper Audit Trail, VVPAT, machines will be used for the first time along with EVMs.
Railway minister launches new IRCTC app to promote digital ticketing
- The union railway minister Suresh Prabhu has released an Android-based mobile application named "IRCTC Rail Connect app" to promote ease of ticketing through digital transactions.
- Currently, e-ticketing system caters to over 10 lakh passengers daily.
- Rail Connect has been developed to bring the power of next generation e-ticketing system like high performance and enhanced security.
- The IRCTC Rail Connect will also be inter-connected with IRCTC AIR, Food on Track mobile apps to facilitate the booking of air tickets and food through e-catering.
Air India launches ‘Fly For Sure’ scheme
- The Air India (AI) has launched a "Fly For Sure" scheme.
- The customer has to pay extra Rs. 2,000 while booking the ticket and get to board any Air India flight on the same day and same sector.
- The voucher will be non-refundable and can be availed on all domestic routes offered by AI.
- Earlier, low-cost airline SpiceJet had launched a similar scheme in 2016.
Veteran British war correspondent Clare Hollingworth passes away
- Veteran British war correspondent Clare Hollingworth (105-year) has passed away in Hong Kong.
- She was the first to report on the invasion that triggered the outbreak of World War -2.
- She went on to report from Vietnam, Algeria and the Middle East.
- Hollingworth was a rookie reporter for the Daily Telegraph when she fell upon the scoop of the century.
World Bank drops India's growth rate to 7 % after demonetization
- In its latest report, the World Bank has decelerated India's growth for 2016-17 fiscal to 7% from its previous estimate of 7.6% due to immediate withdrawal of a large volume of currency in circulation and subsequent replacement with new notes in November contributed to slowing growth.
- The country would regain momentum in the following years with 7.6% and 7.8% growth.
- India maintains the distinction of being the fastest growing emerging market economies of the world, bypassing China.
Jimmy Adams appointed new West Indies director
- The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has appointed 'Jimmy Adams' (49-year) as its new Director of cricket.
- Adams is the former head coach of the Kent County Cricket Club (England county) will officially take over the position for a three-year contract.
- Jimmy Adams played 54 Test matches for the Caribbean side and will be able to draw upon from his vast experience.
- He will oversee and manage all cricket matters to include the development of all teams, all coaching and cricket eduction and other technical programs.