State Bank of India Specialist Officer (SO) Exam 2016-17 will now be conducted on 20th January 2017. Admit Cards for SBI SO were released on 10 January 2017 and you can download them from the link at the end of the article. Since few days are now left for SBI SO Exam 2016-17, we are now going to share some tips that might be helpful for this exam.
SBI SO Exam Pattern 2016-17
Name of Test
No. of Questions
Test Lead, Tester & Statistician
Sectional Strategy Tests of Reasoning Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language are just Qualifying in nature and marks obtained in these sections will not be included in the final merit list. As clearly mentioned above, Professional Knowledge carries maximum weightage. However, you will have to clear these sections in order to be eligible for Interviews of SBI SO.
How to approach Reasoning Ability SBI SO Exam 2016-17
This section will comprise of 50 questions with a total of 50 marks. Following topics are essential for this section -
- Seating Arrangement & Puzzles - 3 sets i.e. 15 Questions were asked from this topic last year. This included 1 circular, 1 linear and 1 floor based puzzle. So practice this topic properly. You can go through the link below to understand this topic better -
- Syllogism - 5 questions were asked from this topic last year. While attempting questions from this topic, try to follow the Venn Diagram approach. You can go through the link below to understand this topic better -
- Inequality - This is another important topic that was asked last year and you can expect 3-4 questions from this topic in the exam. To understand this topic better, you can go through the link below -
- Coding - Decoding - Another 5 questions of this section were asked from coding-decoding last year. So, prepare this topic properly. Make sure that you practice questions based on new pattern of Coding - Decoding as well (as asked in IBPS PO Mains). You can go through the link below to understand this topic better as well as attempt quiz based on new pattern -
- Miscellaneous - This includes Blood Relations, Direction sense, alphabet coding etc. These topics are comparatively easy and can fetch you marks if practiced well. So, make sure that you prepare these topics properly.
How to approach Quantitative Aptitude SBI SO Exam 2016-17
35 Questions will be asked from this topic with a total of 35 marks. Try to practice following topics properly for this section -
- Data Interpretation - 3 sets (15 questions) were asked from this topic last year. Have a thorough practice of this topic. You can go through the link below to understand this topic better -
- Number Series - 5 questions were asked from this topic last year. This topic is important because it consumes less time and fetches you marks. So practice it properly. You can go through the link below to understand it better -
- Quadratic Equations - Questions from this topic were also asked last year. This topic again is comparatively easy and less time taking. To understand this topic better, go through the link below -
- Simplification/ Approximation - Try to practice questions from this topic as well. You can go through the link below to clear basics of this topic -
- Miscellaneous - This involves questions from Permutation & Combination, Probability, Age, Mixture Allegation, Partnership,Pipes and Cisterns, Profit Loss, Average, Boats & Stream, Compound/Simple Interest, Time & Work, etc. You may come across questions from this category as well, so prepare well.
How to approach English Language SBI SO Exam 2016-17
35 Questions will be asked from this topic with a total of 35 marks. Focus on the following topics-
- Reading comprehension - You may expect 8-10 questions from this topic. You can go through the link below to understand this topic better-
- Cloze test - 10 Questions were asked from this topic last year. While solving these questions, read the sentence first and then try to find the correct option by substituting the given options in the sentence. You should be able to eliminate incorrect options with the help of this approach.
- Spotting Errors - This topic is again important for the exam. It consumes less time and is highly scoring. You can go through the link below to understand it better.
- Apart from these, you may come across questions from Parajumbles, Fillers etc. For Miscellaneous Section Check English Study Notes
These sections are just qualifying in nature. So, identify your strong and weak topics of different sections and attempt questions in the same order. Remember, You do not have to attempt all the questions in these sections.
Sectional Time Division for SBI SO Exam 2016-17
You will be given a composite time of 90 minutes for these 3 sections. You can divide your time among these sections as given -
- Reasoning Ability - 40 minutes
- Quantitative Aptitude - 30 minutes
- English Language - 20 minutes
Professional Knowledge for SBI SO Exam 2016-17
This is the most important section of SBI SO Exam. 50 questions will be asked from this section with a total of 100 marks.
Questions in this section will be asked majorly from the following topics -
- Database Management System
- Data Communication and Networking
- Operating System
- Software Engineering
- Compiler Design
- Data Structures
- Computer Organization and Microprocessor
- Object Oriented Programming
You can go through the link below to view important books that you can go through for the topics mentioned above -
While preparing this section, keep following things in mind -
- Try to dedicate sufficient time to the topics on a regular basis.
- Make sure that you revise the topics regularly.
- Attempt quizzes and mock tests daily. This will help you connect with the exam interface and prepare you accordingly.
- Work out your weaker areas and make sure that you devote ample time on them.
You can expect questions in the following order from professional knowledge section -
- DBMS – 15
- Data Communication & Networking – 10 to 15
- Computer Organization & Structure – 5 to 6
- Data Structure & Compiler Design – 3 to 4
- Operating systems – 4 to 5
- Software Engineering - 2 to 3
- Internet Awareness – 1 to 2
So, prepare accordingly.
You can also download your SBI SO Exam Call Letters from the link below -
You can also view SBI SO Cutoff for 2015-16 from the link below -
All the best for your exams..